

**MEETING OF THE NHERI USER FORUM COMMITTEE**  
**July 12, 2022, 11am Central**

**MINUTES (by Wei Song)**

**In Attendance:** Mohammad, Stephanie Pilkington, Stephanie Paal, Wei, Antonio, Liesel, David, Claudia, Shane, Yazen

**1. Approval of meeting minutes from the June 22, 2022 meeting**

Mohammad made a motion to approve the minutes: Wei seconds; no objections.

**2. Report from User Satisfaction Survey committee**

Mohammad: Maggie cannot attend the meeting but she sent a message to provide a summary and will present detailed information later. She indicated that so far we have only received 36 survey responses. We still have time before we conclude the survey. So everyone, please push for more responses to the survey. Stephanie, can you post reminders on Twitter to reach the community?

Lisel: We have not heard anything further from Maggie about the user satisfaction survey.

Stephanie: Can you send the QR code so I can post it on Twitter?

Mohammad: I will send you the QR code.

**3. Report from NCO representatives**

Mohammad: I believe there was no NCO meeting in June because of the science plan conference and the summer institute. Do we have an NCO meeting in July?

Antonio: I think there is an NCO meeting on this coming Friday. I have a zoom meeting on my calendar.

David: For some reason, I do not have the zoom meeting on my calendar.

Antonio: I will follow up with Julio to confirm the next NCO meeting schedule and share it with Mohammad.

**4. Report from ECO representatives**

Stephanie Paal: We had a brief meeting for the ECO near the end of the SI. There were not many updates from this meeting. It was mostly to close the SI with summaries shared by

everyone. Hope to have more updates for the next ECO meeting.

Mohammad: For those who participated in the SI, can you share some comments about your experiences with the ECO?

Yazen: It was a great experience. One comment is that the presentations from the sites are quite limited in time. Suggest providing more time and opportunity to interact with the sites.

Mohammad: It was used to allotted with 1-hr for the sites to present. Later, each site starts having its own workshops, and then they decide to just give 15 mins of presentation time for each site to present in SI. If you are interested in a particular site, you can start following their website and find out about the workshop schedule.

Antonio: the site presentations were not intended to be an in-depth introduction for the site. It provides an opportunity for researchers to learn about the site capabilities and the personnel, and then researchers can approach them with detailed requests.

Yazen: I did make some appointments to talk to the sites but the site personnel has told me that they have to leave early to catch the flights, but they did encourage future direct communications with them. Maybe that is the best option so far.

Mohammad: Stephanie, can you pass on these comments to ECO?

## **5. Report from Facilities Scheduling representatives**

Claudia: I had a meeting with Dan last week. He was impressed by the number of people visiting the booth for the 12NCEE at Salt Lake City. He also proposed a new task: bridge the gap between academic testing facilities and the experimental facilities in the industry.

## **6. Report from Technology Transfer representatives**

Yazen: We had a debrief about TTC at the summer institute. The general perception that

NSF does not fund research projects that are directly applicable to code revisions is not accurate. The case studies explained in the debrief have shown that some research can be transferred to code changes and TTC representatives can help with that process. Another comment is, can we make communication a two-way street, for the TTC to reach out to the research community and let them know what are the research needs?

Antonio: The focus of the TTC is to look at the NSF-funded research projects and see their value in practical applications. Yazen, the comment you have made is more of the focus of the Science Plan—for the community to identify the fundamental research topics and questions to tackle.

Shane: I was not able to attend the SI and miss the debrief from the meeting. We will have our next meeting in October, and I should be able to attend that one.

## **7. Updates on Communication and Outreach subcommittee**

Stephanie: We will have our next meeting next week. For the campaign we did for the REU program, Robin indicated it has gone very well. I don't have the specifics yet and hope to learn more in our next meeting. Also, we will start discussing a campaign through a Twitter account, linked in, or Instagram.

Mohammad: Can you push the user forum survey in the communication and outreach subcommittee with social media platforms?

Stephanie: Sure and I will send it out and tag other accounts to re-tweet.

## **8. Discussion on i) new member from Graduate Student Council and ii) new member election**

- i) Student member from graduate student council

Mohammad: Stephanie Paal has reached out to one of the students and she was interested in joining UF as a representative from the Graduate Student Council. And Robin has also recommended one. I will bring their resumes to the meeting for us to select. And no, we are not planning to give them voting rights, because we try to reach out to all spectrum of users, and many users are graduate students using the sites. Also, I am not sure if they (the students) use Twitter because most of the students use Instagram. It would be nice to have someone who uses Twitter.

ii) New member election

Mohammad: Wei and I have received an email from Tori that she is planning to roll off the UF. Now we need one member to replace Tori and another member to help with Stephanie on the outreach subcommittee. A total of two new members would be appropriate. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them with us.

Antonio: If one of the members needs to help with the social media, maybe we need to make that requirement clear in the recruiting message.

Stephanie Paal: We can identify the student representative from Graduate Student Council to help with social media.

Stephanie Pilkington: I do like the idea of having student members who can help with the social media posting, especially with the Instagram account. Another comment is that I hope someone on the Comm and Outreach Committee to also has the login to the accounts—so not just me can maintain the accounts.

Wei: For the new member to replace Tori, maybe we also need to look at the research background to make sure we do not miss the coverage of certain research areas?

Mohammad: Stephanie Paal covers all types of natural hazards and Stephanie Paal works

on wind hazards. If we need more specific concentrations, we can look into the background to cover tornadoes, waves, etc. Regarding Comm and Outreach activities, we may also explore the possibility of having a student member on a one-year membership period to contribute to posting on social media.

Stephanie Paal: I think the student member can help with the social media but for the office hours that we talked about before, I still think faculty members who have used the site before would be more appropriate for that role.

Mohammad: For the new member election, based on the discussion, we can have one new member for the outreach subcommittee and also another new member with expertise in coastal engineering, who can also attend the outreach subcommittee and bring suggestions/inputs to it. We usually put out a general announcement and ask for nominations. I will work with Wei on this.

## **9. Others**

Mohammad: In SI, we have discussed ideas to help UF to move forward. Stephanie brought up the idea of adding more UF discussions besides updates from subcommittees. Wei will add an action item to ask everyone to chip in ideas with a more detailed plan. I really like the idea (**Idea #1**) of hosting office hours with site representatives. I think it can bring publicity to the UF and the sites. For example, for a specific site, whoever on the UF has the relevant background can help to host the related office hour. I can bring this idea to NIAC or the council and ask for their opinion.

Stephanie: what can we get out of the office hours?

Mohammad: We can get publicity for the UF and the sites, and also introduce the UF to more people and engage more users from the community. Also, we have mentioned another idea (**Idea #2**) that to host Happy Hours with previous users and talk about their

experiences in an informal but interactive way. We can also learn from their experience and suggestions to move forward.

**Action item:** To every UF member, please think about how to proceed with the ideas that we brought up before, which can help UF to move into next year.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:46 pm CT.